December 14, 2013

The Good Daughter. Jane Porter

Book Cover
The Good Daughter
Jane Porter
Published: Berkley 2013
Genre: Women's Fiction - Contemporary
Format: ebook
Pages:384
Source: Own book

Love was given to all, except herself . . . Kit Brennan has always been the most grounded of her sisters. A Catholic school English teacher for seventeen years and a constant giver, her decisions have been sound--just not very satisfying. Her fortieth birthday is right around the corner, causing Kit to consider some wilder notions, like skipping right past the love and marriage to raising a child all by herself . . . A girls' weekend away is just the reprieve Kit needs from school, Mr. Wrongs, and life-changing decisions.

It's there that she meets a man who's dangerous; a man who challenges who she thought she was, or rather "should" be. Kit wants to indulge herself this once, but with one of her students in crisis and the weight of her family's burdens weighing heavy on her heart, Kit isn't sure if now is the time to let her own desires take flight.

My thoughts:
This is the second in the Brennan sisters series. At first I thought it was going to chug along, it was interesting and I liked catching up with the family, but it was feeling a little bit blah to me. And then... Delilah the young step daughter of Missy and Michael (Harvey) hits the scene.  After that I found I didn't want to put it down.  We don't always know what goes on behind closed doors, and when we do suspect all is not well - what might we do?

I liked Kit, high school English teacher and always the good person in the family. She is genuinely caring towards others, but perhaps not really able to put herself first. She meets Jude, a tough looking biker, she is attracted but repelled at the same time. He doesn't fit the family image of her. However as the book unfolds there are dark secrets to be revealed and Kit finds unexpected support and love. Issues were revealed although not completely to everyone, the reader knows and some of the characters, but not all.  I was completely happy to see where Kit was placed by the end of the book, but I still longed for more!

I enjoyed catching glimpses of the others in the family, it was sad to watch the family gather in support around there mother as she faces the last stages of her fight with cancer.  I found the small glimpse of Meg annoying - I wanted to know what is really going on in her life.  How are things for her now?  Brianna - twin of Kit had some unexpected issues as well, although as I learned about Kit I should have seen that Brianna would have faced the same situation.

In short, I will be reading The Good Wife, very shortly to learn more of the Brennan family.
5 stars
Books in this series:
The Good Daughter
The Good Wife


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...