October 1, 2014

First Grave on the Right Darynda Jones

First Grave on the Right
Darynda Jones
Publisher: Piatkus
Date: 2011
Format: Paperback
Pages: 310
Genre: Paranormal/Urban fantasy
Source: Local library

Private investigator Charlotte Davidson was born with three things: looks; a healthy respect for the male anatomy; and the rather odd job title of grim reaper. Since the age of five, she has been helping the departed solve the mysteries of their deaths so they can cross over. Thus, when three lawyers from the same law firm are murdered, they come to her to find their killer.

In the meantime, Charley's dealing with a being more powerful - and definitely sexier - than any spectre she's ever come across before. With the help of a pain-in-the-ass skip tracer, a dead pubescent gangbanger named Angel, and a lifetime supply of sarcasm, Charley sets out to solve the highest profile case of the year and discovers that dodging bullets isn't nearly as dangerous as falling in love.
My thoughts banner
First Grave on the Right is the first book in a paranormal, urban fantasy series.  Now I am not into a lot of books in this genre, but the thing is when you visit others blogs and see the reviews if you are like me you say to yourself - "I just might give this book a go".

So I have given it a go!  Like many other books that are paranormal the reader needs to orientate themselves to the world of the characters.  I have to say it took me awhile, at times I was wondering - who said that?  Who is that? What? That character can do that? Really?  So it took me quite awhile to get into the world of Charley Davidson.

Charley herself I found very likeable, she is caring and fearless.  She has an amazing array of people that surround her who are dead but haven't yet fully passed on.  They hang back until some issue has found resolution.  When Charley gets a little sick of these characters she has been known to carry out a fancy false exorcism to encourage them to move on - or through her, as she is the gateway.

This book has three dead lawyers who have sought out Charley to help obtain closure in the mystery that surrounds their very recent murder.  A large part of Charley's success is that she can receive information from these dead people and help the police search out the clues.

Finally there is a mystery dark figure that Charley has known on very early in her life.  She wants to know who this person is? Good or evil? She is not sure, however this character seems to turn up in the nick of time when Charley finds herself in dire trouble.  Part of this story is Charley following the mystery of this unknown person.

The book was easy to read, at times funny and the array of characters very entertaining.  I will certainly check out the next book - I see the whole series is at my library, so no problem there.  I'm hoping that now I have got a small handle on Charley's life that the next book will be easier to follow. 
3.5 stars


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I need to read more of them to find the humour! I always enjoy a good laugh.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...