January 19, 2018

Over The Teacups #6

Short Reviews Over a Cuppa


book cover
Why?Susan Wiggs is a favourite author and I have liked and loved every contemporary fiction book she has written, so it was an auto-buy for me.
Plot?This is the story of so many, mainly that of Camille and her daughter Julie. But also Julie's father and his grandparents. Camille is an expert photographer but since the death of her husband five years ago she has not lifted a camera. Her daughter Julie a young teen is going through a tough time with some very overt bullying happening to her. Onto the scene comes Finn, who seeks out those who are lost - mainly soldiers and brings them home. He has a special mission to find his father.
What Appeals to Me?I loved the characters, yes Camille was a little prickly, but five years isn't that long in the scheme of things so its understandable she hasn't quite moved on. I liked her story and that of Julies as they let go and move on. I loved the small vignette WW11 story and the outcome from that. And of course it was delightfully set in both the east coast of the USA and Provence, France. Loved the writing too. Such an appealing read all round.
And so... the next Susan Wiggs book will of course be an auto-buy!

book cover
Why? I had a bit of spare reading space and was perusing Amazon and when I saw this one I clicked!  Eloisa James right!
Plot? This one is set in Georgian times, when they wore wigs and powdered their hair and the women wore very low cut dresses! Alaric is the hero and Willa the heroine. They are pretty much their own persons and don't worry too much about wigs and powder. He is back from big adventures, is a writer and very popular with the ladies. What follows is a love adventure with an evil killer thrown in and a skunk who knows when to leave a stink.
What Appeals to Me? Well written and fun. Light and warm mostly. I haven't met a pet skunk in a book before, plus the plot moved along well and was rather unique. Also there is a large Wilde family and plenty more stories to be told. It ends with a cliff hanger for one of the brothers - North and its sure to deliver.
And so... Sighting next book in series - Too Wilde to Wed which promises to publish about May 2018.



book cover
Why? Well Catherine Anderson is pretty much an auto-buy for me and when I need a really good comfort read, I can always rely on her to deliver.

Plot.  This is the story of 1) Tanner who is about 78 and living in an assisted apartment while he heals from a fall. And the woman who runs the place is a dragon. 2) Crystal his grand daughter who is keeping the home fires burning while her grandfather is in care. She is looking after his dog who is a total handful. Somehow she has a young kitten on her plate as well. 3) And then there are a couple of love interests and a small bit of mystery thrown in.

What Appeals to me. I liked the two sets of couples - one younger and one older - both full of wisdom and emotion. I liked Rip - the unforgettable dog, and feel good emotional story.

And so... The next Catherine Anderson book can't come soon enough! An auto-buy. There is a lovely interview with Catherine Anderson on Goodreads about this her latest book.

11 comments:

  1. You whipped out them three books. I put Catherine Anderson on my TBR because of you and I seriously need to read more of Susan Mallery; she is a terrific writer.
    I can understand having to wear a green plaid uniform for your school years had you wear the color less. I don't have enough green in my wardrobe. I'm trying to wear less black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sound good...I'm especially drawn to Spring Forward. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, they all sound good. I've only read one by Anderson (The Christmas Room). I see Spring Forward is #4 in a series. Would it stand alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mary they all stand alone. Really the only commonality is the setting.

      Delete
    2. Good to know. Thanks, Kathryn. Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  4. Amazon is such a dangerous place to peruse...isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of these is on my list and one on my radar thanks to you Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  6. These three authors are auto-buys for me too. Just finished Map of the Heart and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished Map of the Heart and really struggled with Camille. I could understand her motivation and found it fairly realistic but she just annoyed me so much! Of course luckily it was Susan Wiggs so there was enough other stuff that I loved that it balanced it all out! The other 2 are on my list and I'm really excited about them. I want to read more Eloisa James and I love books that have multiple generations so the Catherine Andersen looks like a winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post....they all look good.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...