January 24, 2018

Sisters Like Us. Susan Mallery


book cover
Published:Harlequin
Date: 23rd January 2018
Format: 3-ARC
Pages: 432
Genre: Mainstream Fiction
Source:Publisher via NetGalley
Rating:
4.5 stars                     Add to Goodreads
Divorce left Harper Szymanski with a name no one can spell, a house she can't afford and a teenage daughter who's pulling away. With her fledgling virtual-assistant business, she's scrambling to maintain her overbearing mother’s ridiculous Susie Homemaker standards and still pay the bills, thanks to clients like Lucas, the annoying playboy cop who claims he hangs around for Harper's fresh-baked cookies.

Spending half her life in school hasn't prepared Dr. Stacey Bloom for her most daunting challenge—motherhood. She didn't inherit the nurturing gene like Harper and is in deep denial that a baby is coming. Worse, her mother will be horrified to learn that Stacey's husband plans to be a stay-at-home dad…assuming Stacey can first find the courage to tell Mom she's already six months pregnant.
My thoughts banner
Sisters Like Us is #4 in the Mischief Bay series, while part of a series it is very much a stand alone as well. I had been anticipating it with reading relish because so far I have really liked this series.

There are two sisters - Stacey who is about to become a Mom, she is about 6 months pregnant and as sure as can be that she will not make a good mother. Her mother - Bunny sent her the message in childhood that there was something wrong with her, and every since she has believed it.  She has a wonderful husband Kit and his insightful nephew Ashton who would most likely hold a different opinion entirely about Stacey.

Harper runs her own business and seems often to be overwhelmed by it, taking on too much and not standing up to one demanding client. Her mother - Bunny is always harping on to her about getting all the home things right. As the book opens she isn't getting things quite right with her daughter Becca, who is struggling with some pertinent issues.  

We also meet the police cop from the book A Million Little Things.  He uses Harper's business to deal with some of the details of his life like paying his bills. I really liked him and his approach especially to Becca, although I felt one thing he did was really not quite in character, but everyone seemed to understand!

So this story deals with mothers and daughters - what makes a good mother? How can you juggle an important job and be a mother too? And the messages we receive as children from our parents can have a huge impact.  As well we see two sisters who do really support each other, teenage friendships explored, the need for a strong father in one's life and what makes a great teenage romantic relationship.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book - just as I expected.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book as well! My favorite in the series so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read her books before, but I heard good things about her work. This one sounds like one I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time you mention a Susan Mallery book I feel I'm so behind in her works. I like Loretta Chase's take on historical romance. I feel it can be a somewhat limiting genre because of its strict rules for women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have made me want to read it, too! And I even have it! I used to think that books with summery covers should only be read in the summer but I am learning to mix it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one bookmarked on Amazon. I love books about sisters. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this one too! Bunny was so awful and there were times I wanted to shake Harper but I loved them all (except Bunny of course). I'm excited to see that Lucas is in one of the earlier books. That's added incentive to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just brought this one home today! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thx for reviewing. I have a few books by Susan Mallery and this makes me want to get started on them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...