October 13, 2015

Hot Toy. Jennifer Crusie

book cover
Hot Toy
Jennifer Crusie
Published: St Martin's Press
Date: 13th October 2015
Format: e-ARC
Pages: 77 - Novella.
Genre: Contemporary romance
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Add to Goodreads
Mayhem ensues under the mistletoe as a determined shopper grabs the very last hot toy action figure off the shelf, only to find herself plunged into the middle of a real-life spy game and in the arms of a sexy secret agent...

My thoughts banner
A really cute, funny, spoof like novella for the Christmas season.  Even though it is one that is previously published in an Anthology - Santa Baby, I had never read it, and of course when I saw that it was by Jennifer Crusie, totally irresistible.

Trudy Maxwell is doing some late night Christmas Eve shopping for her nephew so that he can have Santa bring him what his heart craves for. Trudy is determined not to let him down. However the shops are all sold out of the action figure Major MacGuffin who shoots vile stuff out of his mouth. Not giving in, remembering disappointments in her own youth, Trudy is persistent and eventually unearths last years version of MacGuffin.  

However, close by is Nolan, she went out with him a few times, thought he might be The One, but then she never heard from him again. She is not that happy about that. Turns out he wants a MacGuffin too, and offers her a ridiculous amount for it. As does a lady in the cue and as does Reese, a younger guy who worked for her father for a while.

From there the story takes off. Who is the good guy? Well... I thought I knew... then a little confusion and a lot of action. Trudy is sure of one thing - she is hanging onto her MacGuffin, come what may and whatever it takes. 

It's short, but it's a load of action and fun.

4 stars

9 comments:

  1. Hey Kathryn, great choice I read and loved all the novellas in that anthology.
    Thanks for making me remember, I'll be digging that off my keeper shelf to re-read over the holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should check out the actual anthology Debbie as I am sure all the stories were good.

      Delete
  2. Always like this author's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Nise. I miss her books these days. Although I think I might have a few of hers I haven't read.

      Delete
  3. It has been ages since I read a Crusie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think she has much new out as far as I know.

      Delete
  4. I have had a book by Crusie sitting on my shelf for ages but have yet to actually read it or any other books by her. This sounds cute and like a good read for when my brain is fried by all the holiday madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Katherine. I have enjoyed a number of Crusie books, some I have liked more than others but definitely worth reading.

      Delete
  5. Ooo I didn't know this existed! I love Crusie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...