November 22, 2015

Read the Books You Buy Reading Challenge 2016

Read the Books You Buy Reading Challenge 2016 Badge
"When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes". Erasmus 
Bought the book, you really want to read it.... and then it gets surpassed by review books or library books or other TBR books.

So this is a Reading Challenge to Read the books you buy. You don't buy books? Well then this challenge isn't for you. Now at the start of 2016 you won't be sure of what you are going to buy or how many books you will buy.

So far in 2015 I as I write I've read 32% of the books I bought this year, and I thought until I did the tally I was doing well. Statistics do not lie!  I'd like to be in the higher end of 40-60% range at least. That's what I will be aiming for in 2016.

So - choose from one of the percentages below and go for it.  Make a commitment post and link up below. List the books you buy in the post as you spend throughout the year and then mark off as you read them.

If you don't have a blog you can do this on Goodreads with something like a 'bought 2016' shelf and you'll easily be able to see at the end of the year how you've gone. Leave a comment on the post with a link to the shelf to signal your participation, if using Goodreads.

20% or less      Money Sitting on the Shelf.

20 - 40%          Making Inroads.

40 - 60 %         Moderately Successful

60 - 80 %        Maximising  Returns

80 - 100%       Mission Accomplished

Rules.

  • Books have been bought in 2016 by you or you can decide to include from and including June 2015 buys. Anything previous to that definitely falls into the dusty TBR realm! There is a challenge somewhere in the book world for that!
  • Can be ebook, print book or audiobook
  • You can decide whether you include books bought in 2016 second hand or in book fairs etc.
  • You may adjust your level if needs be during the year.
  • Books for this challenge can also be included in other challenges.
  • Runs from 1st January to 31st of December 2016
I encourage you not to think this through too much, go on buying as you normally do - in a large or small way.

Authors write books, they deserve to be read and enjoyed and paid as well! So I know we love our review books, library books, 2nd hand books etc. But ... if you can - buy books as well.

There will be one mid year link up to share how you are going, in the beginning of July.

In December there will be the final link up to share where you reached. You may not reach your goal, but just link up to account for yourself!

The link ups just mean re linking your commitment post but updated.

In the July link there will be a $10 Amazon voucher giveaway prize for one reader among those who link up and at the end in December a $25 Amazon voucher or books to that amount from the Book Depository if it delivers to your country.  Even if you don't get to where you hoped you can still link up, so long as you bought a book during 2016 and joined the challenge!

Final Link Up Now Live

30 comments:

  1. I'm going to be limiting the number of challenges I do in 2016, but this one sounds too good to pass up! I am AWFUL at reading books that I buy! I don't buy many books at all, but that should make it easier to keep up with right? Wrong! Unless freebies count as purchased, then I'm absolutely hopeless....

    Angie @ Pinkindle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, I didn't think of freebies, but I guess in a way no money was forked out! I've tried to make it so its fairly easy to track. I don't buy that many either but they do add up!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like my kind of challenge, since I am trying to read from the stacks of books I buy, without a lot of success.

    I've been working on 2014...so that won't count, but I still have a lot from 2015 that need to be tackled.

    But I'm still pondering this, since I have been stressed out by challenges in the past. But how hard can it be? I'll be doing what I planned to do anyway. Thanks! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know I stress myself out a bit about challenges, but with this one I have made it even if you don't get to where you're aiming for you're still in, it's the little bit of effort that counts. And I have a few too from 2015 I bought that are so inviting and highly recommended.

      Delete
  3. This is exactly the motivation I needed! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had already decided that I would keep track next year of the books I buy to see if I read them or not, and to see how much I spend on books too.
    I might be able to do this since most of the books I buy are for Ladies book club reading or part of series.
    Does this include Audible credits - which are through a monthly subscription so sort of bought each month? Also at the end of the year, like now, I am buying books I plan to read in 2016 as TBR titles. :-)
    So maybe this wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha yes Audible books can be counted. And books bought from June 2015 can count. Up to each person what month from then on they start. I am starting myself at June 2015.

      Delete
  5. A good challenge. I don't really buy books anymore but we knitters face the same kind of situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Lately, I have been more of the books that I buy and less of my review requests. I think I'm getting a little burned out on accepting reviews. I want read what I want to read!

    Kendal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this sounds so perfect for me! Book buying bans tend not to work for me, but I think I'd feel better about getting new books if I make sure to actually READ them in a timely manner -- I will do a sign-up post soon :) Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an awesome challenge! I am considering participating. I do have a question for you- how do you keep track of the percentages?
    -Amy
    P.S. Please respond on my blog; I would normally not make this request but I have no idea how to make it notify me when you reply. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy have sent you an email, hope it reached you.

      Delete
  9. I just signed up for this challenge. Hopefully I can read more of the books that I purchase through out the year. I also sent you a friend request on goodreads and I'm a new follower of yours on Twitter.
    http://theresaraymer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry Theresa I didn't realise the whole comment would disappear on me. If anyone else wants to ask a question about percentages please do so. I have emailed Theresa about her question.

      Delete
  11. This sounds just like what I need. I'm in! The stacks purchased from June 2015 is enough to keep me busy but I know I'll still purchase in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in! This challenge is perfect for me this year -- thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you're starting with books from 2015, do they have to be published in 2015, or just bought in that year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just bought in 2015 June onwards, doesn't matter about the publishing date.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing information about pedicure cleaning and the meeting. Your blog has always been a source of great beauty tips Experion Institute, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will you be doing this challenge again for 2017? I'm new to book blogging and I would love to join in next year if you are going to have a challenge like this again. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't fully decided yet, however there are many reading challenges out there and if you go to Reading Challenges and keep an eye out there, a variety of challenges for 2017 will start appearing before long.

      Delete
    2. I would also love to join this challenge again next year if you decide to host again! Thanks for doing it this year -- I'm not doing as well as I hoped, but it's definitely helping me stay (sort of) on track with my reading!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that feedback Christine, I might do it for one more year - it has kept me on track too! Sort of. At least it keeps in front of me what I am buying and reading or not reading.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...