November 15, 2015

Women's Fiction Reading Challenge 2016

Reading challenge badge

This challenge is for those who enjoy reading women's fiction.  How might you define this type of book?  I define it as any book that is mainly written and marketed for women (although that doesn't stop men reading them, they can and sometimes do),  they may contain elements of romance but the book mainly centres around the development of women or a woman throughout the book.  Women centered books, that might focus on the issues relating to women, it may be a mainstream novel, slightly less or slightly more.  This website probably best describes what I am thinking of Women Fiction Writers.  

It is distinct in that it is different from literature written by women. Women write many different genres and literary fiction plus non-fiction.

The Romance Writers of America organization defines women's fiction as, "a commercial novel about a woman on the brink of life change and personal growth. Her journey details emotional reflection and action that transforms her and her relationships with others." 

Take whichever definition suits you - both of the  above or write your own definition  in your challenge post and then join in. There is a little controversy over women's fiction, but at present it is what it is, and its a a type of book I like to read. Let's celebrate Women's Fiction.

Levels

  • Motivated 1- 5
  • Savvy     6 - 10
  • Classy    11- 20
  • Go-getter  20 -30
  • Fearless  30+
Books may overlap with other challenges. Any format of book is fine.  Choose your level and write a commitment post and link it below. Or set aside a Goodreads shelf for this challenge, if you don't have a blog or would prefer to work that way. State your commitment in a comment below if you are just using Goodreads, or link up the shelf on the link up.

There will be a link for reviews, although reviews are not a condition of completing the challenge, they are just an extra. There will be a $10 US Amazon voucher or book to that amount from Book Depository for one review linked in Jan-June and another for the July-Aug links, using random.org:

January to June  Reviews

Link for Reviews July to Dec

Completion Link Up

There will be a final link up post at the end for those who complete their challenge, If you list your books as you read them on your sign up post, then you have the post all ready to link at the end of the year.  All those who complete the challenge will go into the draw for a $25 prize to be in the form of a book from the Book Depository or voucher for U.S. Amazon store.  A Gone Reading voucher is also an option.

Sign ups are open until mid October 2016
The challenge goes from 1st January 2016 to December 31st 2016

17 comments:

  1. Hmm, I am tempted, Kathryn, but I gave up on challenges a couple of years ago...or was it three or four? I can't keep track, but a challenge feels like I am not in control.

    But since I read a lot of "women's fiction," as a palate cleanser to my usual thrillers, it makes sense to join in.

    I like the definitions, especially Amy Sue Nathan's article. Now I am sure that I write women's fiction...LOL.

    I will ponder this and come back...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Laurel-Rain I know what you mean about challenges. Next year I am cutting back on the ones I take part in, though strangely I am going to host three for next year.
      I want to really celebrate women's fiction, maybe that's what I should have called it! A celebration of women's fiction! Like you I use it to cleanse my palate too, although not from thrillers as I tend to read romance but love women's fiction more and more.

      Delete
    2. I will look at it as a celebration, then! Perhaps I will join in....

      Delete
  2. Definitely going to join this challenge again problably the lowest one as I am not sure how much I will read next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you defined women's fiction. I guess I do kind of participate since I do read historical and modern day, romance novels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking of joining a few challenges for next year. I'll be sure to keep this one def in mind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kathryn.

    I am going to join.

    I am usually not up to challenges, but I think I can handle this one. :)

    Can we change our level as the year goes on? :)

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Lets keep this as much without rules as possible.

      Delete
    2. Wonderful....I like rules, but I also like to be without them or bend them too. :) :)

      THANKS.

      Delete
  6. I'm cutting back on reading challenges, but this one has my interest. I'm going to consider doing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do we have to have a blog in order to sign up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin no you don't. You may have a Goodreads or Shelfari or Library Thing home where you want to keep count. Or if none of those you can join by stating so in comments and then play along via comments.

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for hosting the challenge again! I hope you'll check out my Victorian Reading Challenge, as well. http://www.belleslibrary.com/2015/12/2016-reading-challenges.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in. Here's a link to my goodreads shelf for this challenge. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/5566516-leah-leah?shelf=the-book-date-challenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Leah, hope you enjoy being part of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing a zillion challenges and am really psyched about this one. Here's my link: http://ladyttime.weebly.com/lady-ts-book-nook

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to adding a linkup post for this - just need a week with enough time!
    Have already done some great reads for this challenge - Thanks for hosting, Kathryn...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...