June 28, 2017

One Wrong Turn. Deanna Lyn Sletten

book cover
Published: Lake Union Publishing
Date: June 20th 2017
Format: e-ARC
Pages: 204
Genre: Mainstream Fiction
Source: Author via NetGalley
Rating:
3.5 stars                   Add to Goodreads
The words “I’m her husband” roll off Clay Connors’s tongue, but with his estranged wife lying in a coma—and no assurance that she’ll awaken—he knows he’s perilously close to losing everything. A singular, terrifying accident has left Jess Connors suspended between life and death. Now Clay is reunited with the family he hasn’t seen for two years, including the daughters he left behind.


My thoughts banner
In One Wrong Turn Deanna Lyn Sletten explores a family wounded and hurt by one of their members struggling with alcoholism. Clay has struggled for years with this disease, he loves his wife and two girls very much, but every time he endeavours to overcome it, some stress or other sends him over the edge. Now he hasn't been home with his family for two years, yet he has managed to stay sober for almost two years. However he is afraid to return home in case he falls into old patterns.

However when his wife Jess has a car accident he is called back by the medical people. Naturally his daughter Maddison, 12  years old is not over welcoming. She has seen her father repeatedly let them down, so her frosty challenging behaviour is very understandable.   Jilly, just 7 remembers less and is delighted to have her father with her.

The tension in the story comes from a few factors. Firstly the antagonism of Maddison towards her father, she holds out against him, continually giving him a challenging time. It breaks his heart because he loves her, understanding at the same time he is responsible for how she sees him. Maddie has been let down too many times, she has seen her father leave and not return, she is hurt and doesn't trust.

As well there is the fact that Jess is in a coma and nothing seems to be waking her. Will she wake? Will they have to go on without her? The continual visiting with no sign of life is wearing on them all and the hope and faith they have wavers for some of them.  

The question is can Clay keep his head above water with all this going on around him? He does have some good support people and it is to them he turns when times are really tough.

I enjoyed the read, the story moves along well, the struggles were real and I was cheering the family on as they dealt with a serious crisis.

9 comments:

  1. It seems to pack a lot of emotion

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a book I would enjoy. I have another book by this author that I haven't read yet, but now I must: Finding Libbie.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurel,
      I'm thrilled you have Finding Libbie! I hope you'll read it. It is even more intense than One Wrong Turn. But hopefully, you'll enjoy them both. :)

      Delete
  3. Whew! This sounds intense but it sounds like the struggles were portrayed realistically. Maddie's reaction especially rings true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow this looks right up my alley Kathryn. I'm putting it on my list! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really hope this story has a happy ending. Children should be protected from being the parent. Clay is flawed but I feel that there is an uplifting aspect to this story that you've kept very quiet about. =) Great review, Kathryn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonna,
      I think you'll like this one. I won't give away the ending - but I think it's a satisfying one. ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh sounds like a lot for them all to go through. Yay for a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathryn,
    Thank you for this wonderful review of One Wrong Turn. I'm sorry I didn't catch it sooner. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the book with your readers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...