May 1, 2013

The Quilter's Apprentice. J Chiaverini.

The Quilter's Apprentice
Jennifer Chiaverini
#1 in Elm Creek Quilts.
Kindle edition  January 31st. 2012
First published in 1999.
276 pages

Summary from Goodreads.
After moving with her husband, Matt, to the small college town of Waterford, Pennsylvania, Sarah McClure struggles to find a fulfilling job. In the meantime, she agrees to help seventy-five-year-old Sylvia Compson prepare her family estate, Elm Creek Manor, for sale. As part of her compensation, Sarah is taught how to quilt by this cantankerous elderly woman, who is a master of the craft.

This book has been sitting on my Kindle for awhile and as part of tackling my TBR pile I started out to read it.  I really enjoyed it, so that means now there will be a log jam of books further down the line that I will want to read to find out more about the characters in this series.

I had marked it to read because a while back I had read Emilie Richard's Shenandoah series which I absolutely loved.  I don't think this one quite came up to the wonderful plot and characters in those books, however the characters in this story were endearing and drew me into the story.  Sarah while helping Sylvia to prepare her estate learns the story that is Sylvia's background.  It is told as they piece a quilt together, while Sarah learns the art of quilt making from Sylvia.  It is one of sadness, jealousy and regret.  However a bond is formed between the pair and Sarah is a catalyst for Sylvia joining again a community of warmth, friendship and forgiveness.

The art and skills of making a quilt thread throughout the story.  Anyone who makes quilts would enjoy this aspect no doubt.  I would love to be able to quilt like these ladies, although I am not sure that I would have the patience to learn!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...