May 3, 2013

Book Blogger Hop


Billy from  The Coffee Addicted Writer blog has relaunched the Book Blogger Hop. Each week the hop will start on Friday and end on Thursday. There will be a weekly prompt just like before. The hop’s purpose will remain the same as it will give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend other bloggers, and receive new followers to your own blog

This week's prompt:  What was the last book you read that was recommended to you by someone else.  Did you like it?


The last book I read was The Good Woman by Jane Porter.  This was recommended by a reader that I follow on Goodreads.  I read her review of The Good Daughter on her blog, then decided  to start with the first one in the series.  (Note: she didn't recommend it to me personally,  but before reading her review I had not heard of the author or the book.

Yes I did enjoy it, although I disagreed somewhat with how the main character was portrayed. I felt she shouldered more of the blame for the unfaithfulness in her marriage.  I thought the husband should have carried more of it.  However this book had me thinking long after I had finished it, and I will read the next book in this series at some point.

This is my first time taking part in this hop, I thought it might be one I can keep up with, as I also read middle grade and YA which I track on another blog and I join in It's Monday, What Are You Reading, with that blog.

8 comments:

  1. I have seen this book around....thanks for your comments.

    Welcome to the Hop. Glad you decided to join in the fun. ENJOY!!!!!

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jane!

    It's great that you've joined the hop! I haven't heard of this book before, but I must be honest and say that I can't read any books dealing with the subject of marital unfaithfulness. I divorced my first husband because of that (and for other reasons). So it would be too emotionally wrenching for me to read such a book. However, I also want to add that I really like your observation that the woman in this book bore too much of the blame. I firmly believe that men stray much more often than women do. So KUDOS to you for pointing this out! It's interesting that books like "Anna Karennina" and "Madame Bovary" are listed as classics. Where are the classics dealing with men having affairs and doing away with themselves in the end because of their unfaithfulness?

    By the way, I am now happily remarried. As you probably gathered from my post, I'm a die-hard romantic!! Thanks for commenting on the post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I think I am a romantic too! Unfaithfulness is not something I condone, in this book's case it was actually the woman who strayed. Her husband though was just an absent, thoughtless guy. He needed to appreciate his wife!

      Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. Oh, gee...I had no idea it was the wife. (stares sheepishly at the computer screen) Yeah, the guy needed to appreciate her. Still, though, if she really loved him, she should have insisted they go to counseling. She took the easy way out! Well, I have to reverse my opinion now, because I believe in fairness. Now I can't stand her!!! There's absolutely NO excuse for unfaithfulness. NONE. If a marriage isn't working out, then people should just get divorced, after having exhausted all available options.

      Anyway...as you can see, just mentioning this in a blog comment is getting me riled up...

      You're very welcome for my visit! Happy Friday, and have a GREAT weekend!! :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the hop! For a moment there I thought the book said The Good Wife like the TV show, which I haven't seen by the way. It sounds interesting.

    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I believe there is such a title in this book series!

      Delete
  4. Hi Kathryn -- I just came across this hop myself and decided I'd give it a whirl. I too think it is one I can commit to on a regular basis so maybe we'll run into each other once in awhile.

    I do love when a recommended book turns out to be one you like. Just in my case, hasn't happened often.

    ~~Emmly Jane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...