January 15, 2014

Review. Somebody to Love. Kristan Higgins.

Book Cover.  Somebody to Love
Somebody to Love
Kristan Higgins
Published:HQN Books 2012
Pages: 432
Format: Kindle edition
Genre: Contemporary romance
Source: Own book
After her father loses the family fortune in an insider-trading scheme, single mom Parker Welles is faced with some hard decisions. First order of business: go to Gideon's Cove, Maine, to sell the only thing she now owns—a decrepit house in need of some serious flipping. When her father's wingman, James Cahill, asks to go with her, she's not thrilled...even if he is fairly gorgeous and knows his way around a toolbox.
Having to fend for herself financially for the first time in her life, Parker signs on as a florist's assistant and starts to find out who she really is. Maybe James isn't the glib lawyer she always thought he was. And maybe the house isn't the only thing that needs a little TLC...

My thoughts.
I really wanted to love this more than I did. Perhaps it was the wrong book for me at the wrong time.  I did enjoy it, it was a very pleasant read, and at no time did I ever consider flinging it away. In fact I was reading it as a foil to a very complicated and somewhat boring book, that I was reading as well.

The plot is one of those where someone rich finds themselves suddenly with all the riches suddenly gone  and they are totally reliant on themselves to make their way in the world.  Parker does rise to the occasion and it doesn't really faze her that much.  She has  had a really strange family upbringing, her relationship with her father is not the best. The explanation did not quite jell with me, because as I read it, her Dad had already begun to withdraw before the 'big shock'.

James, I did like, he too has a very traumatic background and his relationship with his family is strained.  As the story played out, it all felt authentic to me and it all matched up.

What I most enjoyed about this book was catching up on previous characters from Catch of the Day and The Next Best Thing.  It was only by accident I had read those books first, so it was exciting to see these characters moved on in their lives to very satisfying places.
3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...