January 14, 2014

Halfway to the Grave. Jeaniene Frost

Book cover Halfway to the Grave
Halfway to the Grave
Jeaniene Frost
Published: Blackstone audio Inc. 2010
Narrator: Tavia Gilbert
Length: 11 hrs 17 min
Genre: Paranormal
Series: Night Huntress #1
Source: Own book.
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unlikely partnership.
In exchange for help finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner…are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon, Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side...and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

My thoughts
I am not sure of my response to this book.  There were large elements I did like, and yet I am not sure that I like the vampire part of life - unless its Bones of course.

The book is well written, it has a great plot that hums along, there are very few if any dull moments. The characters are great.  Cat is an outstanding female heroine and I can see she is only going to grow even more into herself.  The book ends on a little bit of a cliff hanger, as series books sometimes do.  Almost enough to make me come back to the series in the future but.... I might have to wait a little while.

Bones is a great hero, he is courageous, caring, tough and totally in love.  I just know he and Cat have not had their last encounter!

The narrator was excellent, she had the voices distinctive, the pacing was perfect.  She reads a marvellous scene where Cat is crying, it sounded so real.  She is just the right narrator for the book in my opinion.

The following star value does not reflect on the book, it reflects more on me as a 'reluctant vampire' reader.
3 stars

4 comments:

  1. I liked the series more as I got further into the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise I suspect that may happen for me too. I have already become engaged by the Guild Hunters books and I wasn't so keen to start on that series either. I probably will take it up again, but not the audio. Just realise I like 'light' for listening!

      Delete
  2. For some reason I didn't like the narration for Bones so I love reading the books, hopefully as you continue you'll go from 'reluctant vampire' reader to addicted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the narrator did a good job, but some books I prefer in print and I agree this is another series I will read from print. I keep saying reluctant vampire reader and I am! But if I counted the books with vampires there'd be quite a few. Its usually great characters and plot and good writing that gets me over my dislike!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...