April 25, 2015

Imitation in Death. J D Robb

Published:
book cover
Imitation in Death
J. D. Robb
Publisher: Berkley
Date: 2003
Format: Paperback
Pages: 342
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Source: Local Library
Add to Goodreads
Summer, 2059. A man wearing a cape and a top hat approaches a prostitute on a dark, New York City street. Minutes later, the woman is dead. Left at the scene is a letter addressed to Lieutenant Eve Dallas, inviting her to play his game and unveil his identity. He signs it, "Jack."

Now Dallas is in pursuit of a murderer who knows as much about the history of serial killers as she does. He has studied the most notorious and the most vicious slayings in modern times. But he also wants to make his own mark. He has chosen his victim: Eve Dallas. And all Eve knows is that he plans to mimic the most infamous murderers of all — starting with Jack the Ripper...


My thoughts banner
Imitation in Death is #17 in the In Death series, I am slowly getting through them, at least I have reached 2003.  Like the books before, this one has been an entertaining read.

The murders are gruesome and the the murderer is a really sick guy.  However when you have Eve Dallas on the case, she'll narrow it down and go in for the catch.

In the last book we saw Roarke grapple with issues concerning his mother, and the big find that he made.  This time it is Eve as she becomes in touch with her mother and her mother issues.  They eerily mirror some of what the murderer is motivated by.  Why has Eve turned out the way she has, and why do others who had poor, unfeeling mother nurturers turn out the way they do.  It is not only the killer that has a certain type of psyche, all those under suspicion have some similarities.

As usual there are the relationships that take this series to a great level.  I enjoy how Eve refers to Roarke as 'the civilian' when she is on the job.  Of course there is McNab and Peabody to add humour and a romantic relationship as well.  Peabody is getting ever closer to sitting her Detective exams and is a bundle of nerves.  

While Eve is motherless there is the figure of Mira who is becoming more and more a mother figure for Eve.  So much so she finds herself at a cookout with Mira's family and being confronted by one of Mira's daughters about that fact.  Roarke provides a little humour here too, because just when you thought the man had everything he discovers a new toy at the cookout!

The series is certainly holding my interest, I am aiming to read about one book most months, eventually I will get nearer the 2015 mark!
4.5 stars


6 comments:

  1. I really enjoy this series. I love Eve and Roarke so much. The last book I finished in the series was #18 and that one was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still reading this series. My library now has them in sets of five (#1-5 6-10, etc) in ebook, which is good if I want to go back and reread just the Peabody bits or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I love her books under the Nora Roberts books I don't think I've ever read any of the JD Robb books. It definitely sounds like this is a series I need to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL it does take a while to get through them. It's such a great series though. I've got I think 6 now I need to catch up on but so far have really enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you enjoyed this book. You are far in this series then I am ( I am going to be reading the first one soon, hopefully).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read too much detail of your review since you are ahead of me. I'm glad that you are still enjoying them. I have to get into the next one soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...