March 18, 2016

The Two Family House. Linda Cohen Loigman

The-Two-Family-House book cover
Published: St Martin's Press
Date: 8th March 2016
Format: e-ARC
Pages: 304
Genre: General Fiction
Source:Publisher via NetGalley
Rating:
4 stars                    Add to Goodreads
Brooklyn, 1947: in the midst of a blizzard, in a two-family brownstone, two babies are born minutes apart to two women. They are sisters by marriage with an impenetrable bond forged before and during that dramatic night; but as the years progress, small cracks start to appear and their once deep friendship begins to unravel. No one knows why, and no one can stop it. One misguided choice; one moment of tragedy. Heartbreak wars with happiness and almost but not quite wins.

My thoughts banner
Lynda Cohen Loigman's debut novel The Two Family House was a wonderful read. Two families living in the same house? Well there are two brothers - Abe and Mort. Abe lived in the apartment above with his wife Helen and his family of boys.  Mort lived with Rose and his family of girls in the apartment below.

The story extends over a the time from marriage to when the children are grown and making their own lives with their families.  But what goes on in between is full of family, secrets, jealousy and much more. 

As the book began I liked some characters more than others, by the time the story closes I liked even more of them and understood better those I still disliked. I could predict what Helen and Rose were going to do before it happened, but how it all played out - it was surprising and kept me totally engaged.

I felt for these characters, I really liked how the story continually rotates points of view - from Abe, Mort, Helen, Rose, Judith and Natalie. (Judith and Natalie are daughters). It was smooth and helped give insight to each of them. 

I enjoyed the growth that some of the characters experienced, the changes that happen for some, and the sense of family and love. The ending I felt was perfect for the story as a whole and I was very satisfied with it.

I will certainly be keeping out an eye for any novel the author might write in the future.

10 comments:

  1. I have seen this book around. It sounds really good.

    Nice review. Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing this book and love the cover. It sounds very unique and I'm intrigued!! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds good. I like that the ending was satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been eyeing this book...I love the idea of families living in the same house, and all the trials brought on by the relationships and living arrangements. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debut novels always get my attention and this one is on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to picking this one up. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sound like a great debut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another one for my TBR list. This looks so good. When am I going to find the time to read them all? Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Betty we all have the same problem, but still, it's a good problem!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...