September 27, 2015

Weekly Wrap and Fitreaders

 badge for Sunday PostIt's Monday! What Are You Reading?
I will be linking up as well to the Sunday Post at Caffeinated Book Reviewer and Sheila at Book Journey runs It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 

The past week I visited Melbourne and stayed out in the St Kilda area which is near the sea end of Melbourne. I really enjoyed myself and walked and caught numerous trams everywhere. I didn't stop to take photos except one or two. And such yummy cakes in Acland St - just behind where we were staying.

The first thing I noticed that in Melbourne the Australian accent is what I guess you could term "less noticeable" - on the shuttle out to our place the radio was playing and I almost thought I was still listening to the New Zealand accent!

Melbourne has an amazing tram service, all free in the central CBD. I wonder how many other cities do that?  We caught the tram in from St Kilda most days - my skills with using a card to clock on and off were a little undercooked. At first swiping in the wrong area! 

Lastly I can only say Melbourne people are very helpful and friendly. Drivers far more courteous than here in NZ. Qantas were a pleasure to fly with. My only gripe was that the cabin crew were all kiwis!

Captain Cook's Cottage

Outside Captain Cook's parents' cottage. It was dismantled and brought over to Australia and rebuilt. So happy I had taken warm clothes - Melbourne gets a mean Southerly wind as we do in NZ. 

Statue of Dame Edna in Melbourne
Paying my respects to Dame Edna in the Dockside area.

                                                           badge
I did a lot of walking around Melbourne during the week so my stats this week are a little better than usual! 
Graph
Friday was travel home day, and Saturday was "I'm exhausted" day!

During my time away internet access was limited so I had a 'holiday' from the internet too. That's interesting in itself.  When I returned home I found myself not that keen to take it up again. The daily addiction broken! Not for long though!

What I read in the last two weeks:


book cover book cover book cover

book cover

Homefront and After the War by Jessica Scott - love reading her books as they are so real, describing the challenges and consequences of recent wars on people. Because she is in the military her writing rings true.

Fatal Frenzy - can only say I am fatally addicted to this romantic suspense series involving a policewoman and a politician.

The Secret Sister - very enjoyable, had the mystery more or less sussed by the end, but could have gone a couple of ways. I look forward to #2 in the series.

Origin in Death - awesome on audio. So clever.

such a a pretty face - another very good story by C Lamb.  

Suddenly One Summer - really enjoyed this one in this Julie James series. I've had it on my Kindle since it published and so happy finally read it.

I won't be reviewing any of the above - mostly holiday reads with no thought of reviews!

What I am reading at present:

Listening to:
book cover
Enjoying The Precious One audio very much - thank you Sheree for recommendation.


book cover


Up next:

Pretending to Dance - Diane Chamberlain
After You - Jojo Moyes

Posts from the last 2 weeks:



30 comments:

  1. Oh the Dame Edna pic made me LOL! Looks like you had a fun time. I also enjoyed the Brenda Novak and Julie James books.Can't wait for your thoughts on After You. I'm not reviewing it (wasn't asked) so I'll probably use an Audible credit and listen at some point. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got After You from NetGalley, although it is out in our stores now. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. Loved the Dame Edna pic as well Kathryn and it looks like you had a great time in Melbourne. I visited a few years ago and went to Captain Cook's cottage as well!

    I actually tend to think broad Aussie accents are more prevalent outside of capital cities but I might be wrong about that. Am sure there are interstate differences as well to some extent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting any interstate difference, but I think there could be a slight one. Although tv and radio announcers sometimes speak more genteely! Capital cities idea is interesting too, could be.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun trip! I love Captain Cook's parents' house. I read Blue Latitudes by Tony Horwitz not too long ago which is about Captain Cook and he talks about Australia quite a bit as well as the house. I have The Secret Sister on my TBR and hope to get to it soon. I enjoy Novak's writing though her Whiskey Creek series has not always worked for me. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to hear about Blue Latitudes. I only read one of the Whiskey Creek series and could take it or leave it, but liked this one, which veers a little more towards women's fiction.

      Delete
  4. I hope you enjoy Pretending to Dance...and After You is on my list. I loved your photos...I so would enjoy visiting Australia and New Zealand...but there is one problem. I hate to fly! LOL

    Until I banish that fear, I 'll be visiting vicariously. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally identify with fear of flying. I had to fly some years back and was terrified. Got hypnotherapy which was hopeless. Then took small amount of valium to help on a flight! Now need nothing and while not loving it, can do it without anxiety!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great trip, and love the cottage! It's funny how once we get away from the Internet it becomes a bit liberating. Glad you had good trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed, its a marvellous gift the Internet, but nice to hang free of it from time to time!

      Delete
  6. What a fun trip. Someday I'll go visit both places. :) Enjoy your reading and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you had a nice week away. You have read some good books lately. Marie force is an author I want to know one day. Sounds like something I would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say Marie force is an author I want to read!!!

      Delete
    2. No harm in getting to know her either!! Try her Fatal series first. Love it. First one is Fatal Affair.

      Delete
    3. I will put that on my long list of books to get at the library. I have two lists ( books I own that I want to read and books that I want to read that the library). Both lists get longer and longer!!

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you had a fantastic time in Melbourne! I would love to come to both NZ and Australia, both countries are on my bucket-list!
    YAY, you got The Secret Sister, it's really good, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
    Have a fantastic week ahead and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Captain Cook's parents' cottage, that's where I want to live! Sounds like you are having a fun trip and yay on all your steps! Enjoy your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos Kathryn, especially you with Dame Edna, cracked me up. Way to go with all the steps, no wonder you came home exhausted! But looks like you had a fun trip. I must remember Acland Street for yummy cakes lol.

    Yay I'm glad you're liking The Precious One and I'm sure you'll enjoy Pretending to Dance. hmm I might try NetGalley for After You. I'm on a mission in October to finally read one of the many Cathy Lamb books I have, might have to tell you what I have so you can recommend something brilliant to start on. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so happy I went and explored the much heard about Melbourne. I was surprised to get After You, can't wait to read it, but have a few in the pipeline before I get to it. Just about every Cathy Lamb book is good, so close your eyes and pull one of your ones out. If you have a few on your shelf I hope you like the first one!!

      Delete
  11. Glad you had a nice trip! I have family in Melbourne and hope to visit some day.The statue of Dame Edna is hilarious!

    I hope you enjoy After You. I really liked it though it didn't have the same emotional punch as Me before You. I want to read Such a Pretty Face and the Diane Chamberlain book too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a lovely trip. I just got back from one too and boy was it much needed:) The Hollow looks good. I love her books.

    My Sunday Post - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/09/27/whats-new-on-my-bookshelf-130-and-the-sunday-post/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a nice time away :) It's nice to have a break from the internet. Have a great week .

    Megan @ http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a great trip! It can be nice to be away from the internet and all for a little while. I have the first JD Robb book on my to-read list, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet, I heard great things about the series. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. JD Robb can do no wrong, I love Dallas and Rourke!

    Ha, I love Dame Edna she is such a treasure!! It looks like you had a fab time in Melbourne, my father in law in Brisbane travels down there for work all the time and he always seems to have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how JD Robb just goes on pulling them out and they just get better as I go along!

      Delete
  16. Oh how fun! Love the pics and yay for the Robb! They're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had a lovely time. Sometimes going unplugged is relaxing! You picked some great vacation reads!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want to try that Marie Force series - I love romantic suspense! And I need to read the Brenda Novak book, too. Sounds like a lovely time you had! Love the cottage pic! And look at those steps - fantastic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh wow what a trip, glad you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...