August 13, 2015

The Liar. Nora Roberts

book cover
The Liar
Nora Roberts
Published: Brilliance Audio
Date: 2015
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: January LaVoy
Length: 16 hrs 37min
Genre: Romantic suspense
Source: Own book
Add to Goodreads

My thoughts banner
Shelby Foxworth is left with massive debt when her husband is drowned in a boating accident.  She does what she can to repay the debts he has left behind and returns home to her family in Tennessee with her delightful three year old daughter.

There she meets Grif who is renovating a part of her mother's home.  Soon they form a strong bond, but there are still secrets and depths to the story relating to her husband. And soon there is murder and people hanging around that puts her brother Forest ( a local law enforcement officer) and Griff on alert.

I really liked Shelby and her grit in facing up to what life has thrown at her. She has a wonderful relationship with her young daughter and she is able to stand up for herself when someone from her school days gives her a lot of grief with her mean and bitter ways. I loved Shelby's family and the way they all pulled together.

The suspense part was pretty much low key, I am sure most readers saw early on what was going to happen, but that's okay, while I enjoy the light suspense I know how it works out in a Nora Robert's book and I just enjoy the ride!

It was narrated very well by January LaVoy, her pace and variation of voice for the range of characters was excellent and I am sure the listening of it provided that extra bit of enjoyment. Again excellent narration takes the book up a notch. (I notice recent reviews on Audible are a little harsh on this book because of the plot, but I guess it depends what you are looking for when you pick a book up.)
4 stars


7 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by Nora Roberts, but this one sounds good! I'll go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When a story flows easily and the characters are good, I usually don't mind when we find out early "who done it" ;) And I like every Nora Roberts book I've read so far !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this on my list for awhile - glad to see you enjoyed it! I just have to be in the right mood for a Nora book. :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelby sounds like a great heroine. I love her JD Robb ones. Haven't gotten into her Nora. Maybe via audio would be the way for me to go on these :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to read every Nora Robert's book that was released but have not read her in a long time. What a nce review and I need to get back to reading her books! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a bit the same as you Kathryn. I worked out who did it pretty early on, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...