February 12, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week.  It's a great post to organise yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog   and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date. And here we are!

Jen Vincent, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee of Unleashing Readers decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit – join them!
a divide
Well I was away a few more days than I intended as on the final leg of my journey I overheated my car - badly! Out in the country unsure where I was, I was panicking a little,  quite a bit (although my sister and hubby were on the way) when a wonderful policeman pulled over and helped me sort things. He was so good, a dog handler, he even tried pouring some of the dog's water into my radiator! But it all poured out!  In the end the car was dead, had to be towed and short story is I bought a completely new one and drove home a few days later. Drama!  Even though my little yellow car was a 1992 I loved it. The new car is beautiful but,,,, its not yellow!  However it has all the latest safety features etc and probably won't break down! And I concede - the blue is a lovely shade of blue!

I had a lovely time away with my two sisters but it is nice to be back.                                                      

What I read last week:

I had two big reads really in the past week. The first was a somewhat dark, angsty read set in Alaska from Kristin Hannah. I fell into the camp that liked it - a 4.5 star read for me.
book cover

The other one was an audiobook and I am so happy I went this way with reading this one as it was in my opinion the best narrated of the series. Some of the narrations have really annoyed me for this series, but not this made me happy.  Almost 20 hours long, I raced through it.  I loved the Australian setting.

book cover

What I am reading at present:

I am about to start this review book, this is my first time reading this author.
book cover

It has taken me over 2 hours just going through Audible trying to decide what I wanted to listen to next. When I finish listening to a good book sometimes nothing seems right for the next listen. In the end I went for one a few of my Goodreads friends had liked plus Katherine at I Wish I Lived in a Library.

                                                  book cover

Up next:

book cover

Last Weeks Posts
The Upside  Abdel Sellou
a divide

31 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your car, but glad you had a great visit with your sisters. The First Kiss of Spring was a good read, I am sure you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no, a car breaking down is not the way to end your vacation! Glad you got a new one...but I can understand why you would miss the yellow one.

    I'm glad you enjoyed The Great Alone...and I'm curious about Sweet Tea and Sympathy...it sounds comforting.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had quite the adventure! Rescued by a cop in the middle of nowhere, bought a new car...sounds like a novel. :-) I'm interested in Carnevale's book. Enjoy your reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good trip (other than the car problem)! And yay for a new vehicle? Hope you love it.

    Sweet Tea & Sympathy has a beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the car troubles but glad that you got home safely and now have a reliable vehicle. I'm glad your visit was good otherwise.
    You have several lovely covers this week. I'll have to take a look at The Pearl Sister. I know about taking time trying to decide the next book or listen. Hope you enjoy the ones for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sorry about your car. Sounds like a busy week. I hope you have a nice week, thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, sorry to hear about your car troubles! Glad you had a nice time anyway. Happy reading to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband's car did that too a couple years back. He was on the way home and the radiator gave out midway through the San Mateo Bridge. He had to limp the car home — causing a huge traffic jam behind him. After that the car was DEAD. It was old too but not as old as yours. Sorry you went through that. New cars can be fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my gosh, Kathryn! What a wild adventure, and now a new car! Well, the good thing is that you won't have to worry about it anymore. Whew! I'm glad you made it home safely and had fun with your sisters. I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed The Great Alone! Hope you had a good week and thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband had a yellow truck (about 20 yrs ago) that he loved. It was hit and it was totaled. He was ok, but still talks about his yellow truck. I'm sorry for your loss. I understand panicking, breaking down. Luckily, a police officer helped out. Your books all look and sound interesting. I have Great Alone on my list, but doubt I will read it. I guess it is not as popular as The Nightingale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sister visits are always wonderful. Glad to hear you had a lovely time.

    Sorry to hear about your car, but enjoy your new blue car.

    SWEET TEA AND SYMPATHY looks good. So does THE MEMORIES THAT MAKE US - gorgeous cover. I bet you love the yellow. :)

    ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about missing an old reliable car. I felt that way when I was hit in November and my 2005 got written off. Glad that you are okay and that you had some help!

    Those books are all new to me. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Boo for car troubles but yay for a new car! I have The Great Alone on my TBR pile. I'm glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Monday Kathryn
    I'm reading the cutes fantasy/realism book called Don't Call Me Cupcake out in May.
    Fans of Sarah Addison Allen will love this

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about your car troubles. Too bad your new one isn't yellow. I seem to be sticking to red cars for my last two. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too bad about your car. It's hard when a favorite car dies and you have to pick a new one and it's not exactly what you want, but it's all that's offered. I love blue cars, but ended up with a silver one. Have fun reading and listening to your books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm starting the new Kristin Hannah today! I've heard so many good things so I hope I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Last week was full of 5star reads and one terrible disappointment in “The Immortalists “. Not quite sure what’s next. I finished Batman:Nightwalker this morning

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, no! Sorry about your travel "adventures"! I was especially sorry to hear about your car because I also drive a little (red) 1992 car that I absolutely love - and they stopped making this model in 92 - and I dread the day I will have to replace it. Your new car sounds very nice, though.

    You are making me rethink a decision I made yesterday - I was requesting audio books for review and decided NOT to request The Great Alone, even though I generally like Hannah's novels, just because my backlog of audios is growing, and it's such a long one...but it DOES really sound good! I think I'm going to get it!

    Hope you enjoy your books this week - and have far less drama!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m sorry about your car. I got a new car 5 years ago, and even though I like the updated features like a camera and blue tooth, I still miss things about my old car too, like more storage space and other little things. My dad had a yellow car that I’ll never forget back when we were kids. He named it Yellowbird.

    I keep hearing about Kristan Hannah’s book. It’s getting great reviews. I might have to try it.

    Emily March is on my tbr. I’m interested to see what you think of her latest.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now that is an unexpected adventure! With the result a new car? Wow! And now you are home...can make a cup of tea and settle in with a good book! Did you unpack and buy groceries? If yes...then you are really all set!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness. What an ordeal. I'm sorry to hear about your car. Glad to hear that you made it home safe in the end though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear about your car issues. Those can be so annoying.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I’m sorry about your car. That sucks. I’m glad you liked The Great Alone, though. That book is on my TBR list.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just finished the Great Alone too! I agree it was dark but good! I couldn't decide between 4.5 or 5 stars. Also I LOVE LOVE the Seven Sisters series. I have listened to them all on Audiobook and the hours fly by! I liked The Pearl Sister more than book #3 for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both your read books are on my to-read list and I'm hyped for both of them! Yikes, that sounds stressful with the breakdown. I hate car trouble, but yay for getting a new car. Happy motoring!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like your selection of reads. The Kristin Hannah book is obviously very popular. It is on a number of blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just got the Kristin Hannah book as my February Book of the Month selection. I can't wait to read it! Have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My husband's car suddenly died back a few months ago. Not a lot of fun but a new car makes it a bit better! I imagine it's taking some time to be able to find a blue car vs a yellow one in parking lots though! I hope you're liking Sweet Tea and Sympathy! I enjoyed it though keep in mind not all Southerner's are quite that crazy! I have the Lucinda Riley series coming up on my TBR. I didn't realize that that one is set in Australia. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm actually starting a new book tonight. The book is about a dog. The book is called Gobi.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...